Introduction: How to Make a Mini Bar From Jerry Can

This time I’ll show you how to make A Mini Bar From Jerry Can.

How I did it - you can check by looking DIY video or you can follow up instructions bellow.

For this project you will need:

Materials:

Jerry Can (20l)

Rubber seal (~2.5m length) https://goo.gl/ryXLwD

Small screws, bolts, washers

Wood screws

Draw lathes

Hinges

Pop rivets

1cm thick plywood

Polyurethane windshield glue

Black mat spry paint

Some clear coat for finish

Tools:

Drill and bits

Table saw/miter saw to cut plywood to size

Pop rivet tool

Cutters

Angle grinder

Rotary tool

Some marking and measuring tools

Step 1: Measuring and Marking

As a base for this build I’ll use twenty liters Jerry can a.k.a petrol canister. I think you could easily find one in your local hardware or automotive parts store.
Measured and marked door lines. To get nice and round corner shape - I used random plastic cap as a guide.

Step 2: Cutting

With angle grinder cut straight lines, and with rotary tool cut corners. Used angle grinder with flap disc to clean all burrs.

Step 3: Rubber Edge Seal

To cover all edges I used this rubber edge seal. It is flexible and nicely bends over the corners. There is no need any glue or other fixing product, because it holds very well. I bought it locally, but I’ll leave a link of equivalent product. Just in case if you want to get it on line. https://goo.gl/ryXLwD
Installation is very simple - just slide it on the edge. For me this joint looks like it was manufactured by mass production manufacturer. This is my first time when I’m working with this rubber seal and I’m really happy with result.

Step 4: Fixing Hindges

Next, marked place for hinges and drilled holes for rivets. I used rivets painted in green. Color wasn't exact same tone, but it was quite close.
Spayed all inner surface in mat black. And finished fixing pop rivets.

Step 5: Draw Latches

Time to install draw latches. Procedure is the same as with hinges - drilling holes and securing in place. The only difference is, that this time I used bolts, washers and screws instead of pop rivets.

Step 6: Making Shelf

Jerry can is done, so let’s build a shelf. I measured and cut needed parts from 1cm thick plywood. Measuring, cutting, again measuring, cutting, sanding and etc. This process was really boring - so I’ll show you only final assembly.
This shelf was specifically made with three section for dedicated items: left for soda cans, middle for glass and right one - for a bottle.

Step 7: Tweeking..

In middle section added two plywood pieces to separate glass.
I needed to unscrew one side to get enough space for clamps.

Because left section was too deep I raised it by gluing some plywood spacers and additional piece of plywood in bottom.

I glued two side holder from same plywood. They will hold 4 soda cans in a row. For finish applied two coats of clear mat varnish.

Step 8: Knobs

Made three small knobs from same plywood. They will hold glass in place and won't let them to fell out. Nailed with this type of decorative nails.

Step 9: Glueing Shelf in Place

Used polyurethane windshield glue to glue shelf inside the Jerry can. Made a lot of glue dots what ensure wide holding surface and will give a lot of strength. I don’t want to use any wood screws, because they will be visible from other canister side. So polyurethane glue was the perfect choice.
Slowly slided in, centered, gave a good amount of pressure and let it to dry. When glue was cured - removed piece of cardboard from a Jerry can back. This piece was protecting canister back from scratches entire making process.

Step 10: Result

I’m more than happy with final result. Great accent for any petrol head house, man cave or garage.
All items inside are easy accessible and at the same time secured in place while mini bar is transported.

This is a mini bar, but the same concept could be used to make storage for anything. All you need is to work on different shelving design.

Metal Contest 2017

Participated in the
Metal Contest 2017