Introduction: DIY $5.00 Sandblaster

About: Instagram: withered_perception

Instagram: Withered_perception

I have some rust on my driveway and some old rusty tools I got from my grandfather years ago.

I have been looking at sand and soda blasters for about 6 months. They are either inexpensive and cheap or very well made and expensive!

So I decided lets just make one.

Step 1: Get Crap

Go get some crap at Harbor Freight. This air gun kit ran $4.99.

Now find a bottle in the trash.

Step 2: Say "Hi" to the Cat

This optional but important step may be the difference between you succeeding or failing.

Step 3: Cut the Neck

Remove the locking neck for the cap.

Step 4: Drill

Grab a 3/16" bit and drill the neck just under the cap.

Step 5: Test Fit

Push the air rod in. It should be very snug!

Step 6: Mark

Mark the bottom of the air tube. Spin the tube around so you can hold the handle while you file.

Step 7: File

File a hole through the tube to let your media in. When you're done spin the tube back so the opening is at the bottom.

Step 8: Fit

Get the tube back into the hole.

Step 9: Seal

Not looking for the glue to actually stick here.

Just looking to prevent the hole from opening up too much while under pressure.

Step 10: Test Blast

Put your Saftey goggles and gloves on and give it a good blast. I shot at the rust on the drive way and removed a spot (the white part) in just a few seconds.

I will give you an update on the driveway once I have time to do some actual blasting on it.

Step 11: Real Deal

An old set of needle nose (rusty as hell...)

Step 12: Blast Away

Clean as a whistle!

Step 13: Extra Step

Because everyone keeps asking this is my air compressor a California Air Tools 10020c running at about 40 PSI for blasting.

I also use 20/40 crushed walnut for my media.

For PPE I use gloves, a P-100 respirator, long sleeves and a face shield. No excuses! Do not mess with your Safety!

Instagram: withered_perception

[Play Video]