Introduction: Floating Charging Pad

Do you know what this is? This is a floating UFO that contains small humanoid extraterrestrial aliens from outside of our solar system.

Just kidding. This is a futuristic floating wireless charging pad.It works all kind of smartphone and will definitely attract curiosity from anybody nearby.

It is entirely 3D Printed and uses a Q charging module, so there is no need to design your own circuit board and coil.

Well what are we waiting for? Let's build it!

Step 1: Gathering the Materials

We will need very little component for this project. Unlike my Anti-Gravity Bluetooth Car project.

Materials & Component:

1. Qi Charging Module
  2. 4x 3mm Blue LEDs
  3. Pin Header Male (We only need 2 pin)
  4. Pin Header Female (We only need 2 pins as well)
  5. Wires (Any Wire will do)

Tools:

1. Soldering Iron
  2. Hot Glue Gun
  3. 3D Printer (Or you can send your .stl files to company that provide 3D printing service)
  4. PLA Black Filament

Step 2: Modifying the Output LED on Our Q Charger

On our Q, there is one red led that lights up when a phone with integrated wireless charging is detected on the coil. I replace that with 4 white LEDs connected in parallel along with blue diffusers to give it a cool futuristic look.

You can use 5v LED strips if you want.

Step 3: Modifying Our Input Power Into a Pin Header Connector

The reason why we do this is because if we use the Micro USB port on the circuit board it will not fit into our casing. There is no place for the wire.

Fortunately, the Q charger have a pin out on the board for DIYers like us to use it. Go ahead and solder a wire along with a 2x pin female header onto it.

Step 4: Making Our Own USB Male Header Charger

Now grab a USB dongle that you no longer wanted. Trust me you have plenty of them lying in your drawer. Then cut off the Micro USB end and solder a 2x Male pin header onto it.

Step 5: 3D Print Our Casing

Go ahead and 3D Print the casing. The .stl file are available here.

Step 6: Assemble the Electronics

The different plastic piece will need to be glued together with hot glue.

For the circuit board and the coil, it should be fairly obvious where it needs to go.

As for the LED, they need to be inserted on to the 4 holes.

One quick side note, I also added a slot for the female pin header on the bottom, there is a - symbol on the side to mark the negative pin so that you don't accidentally reverse the polarity when connecting.

Step 7: Show It Off!

Now that you have a mysterious looking UFO. Show it off to the world! And enjoy the convenience of not using a dongle whenever your smartphone need some juice.